Communication can be known as the backbone of every business, and regular communications with coworkers, clients, and customers can be crucial in scaling the business. If done well, it can prove to be a valuable skillset for closing sales, building work relations, and gaining insights regarding their work field.
Just like the ripple effect, the effects of communication breakdown can be felt across the organization and lead to a wavering grip in work processes. As workspaces get virtual and work gets remote, it is becoming a trivial task to effectively communicate campaigns, meeting agendas, measuring progress, and being in alignment with the rest of the team.
The fear of coming across as a novice and not smart enough may impede a person from participating in conversations.
On the other hand, constructive communication results in feedback that allows the employee to gauge their performance and further improve their contribution to the firm.
Mostly for teams to stay together and impact their work, they need to communicate seamlessly and more frequently. Causes of poor communication could be the absence of a team communication app. Business chat apps can change workplace messaging for the better and prove to be a solution to such problems.
Team messaging on business chat apps is one of the most convenient and handy ways to get the ball rolling.
As a result of failure to communicate, here are some of its hard-hitting impacts on work
- Uncertainty and Confusions – People who often feel unheard in a workplace might lead to resentment and misunderstanding while exchanging insights about work. Such situations can further give rise to stress and lower levels of motivation.
Hesitancy, while asking a particular question and holding back from communicating in a discussion or meeting might lead to confusions and mixed up results. An easy to understand and integrated communication tool is what sets the stage for prompt and effective communication.
An employee is usually lost and feels directionless when unwilling to communicate with his/her seniors to seek help. That naturally leads to diminishing productivity, poor work relations, and finally lower quality of work.
Not only does it not understand the work procedures, but another spillover effect would be unable to understand the vision and brand the employee is working for. It might not be possible to urge someone to talk all the time, but giving them a team communication tool empowers them.
- A significant drop in morale – Inadequate communication levels might result in a declining feeling of belonging, which further down the line will result in absenteeism and procrastination. Employees tend to contribute more where they feel they are heard and their inputs valued. Needless to say, when not equipped with the right team communication tools, employees often end up feeling overwhelmed and frustrated.
- Low-quality services to the customer- When the employees have no direction and are clueless about the work operations, they cannot serve the clients better. This not only sends out a wrong signal but paints a lousy image and causes a decline in the quality of customer services.
- Detrimental productivity – When the employees could not access the organization’s resources and information, it leads to a depreciating level of work. When organizations aim to increase ROI’s, declining levels of productivity cannot be afforded.
- Effects on collaboration –We’ve all been taught to work with others in school and colleges on projects. Working and collaborating on group projects without effectively communicating with others seem to be an unachievable task. If it can be done at all, it will be done in incomplete ways with bottlenecks. An open and casual relationship with collaborators outside the organization will result in better work relations and improved future business prospects.
Organizations thrive on collaborations, and communication is the lifeline of any collaboration.
- Untapped creativity – We might not know what a person is capable of unless we get the communication train going. Ideas and insights from an employee could transform the organization’s face, whereas letting them be dormant will add zero value and growth to the firm.
Work aspects with a lot of potential can be left untapped and unexplored if it clashes with bad communication. With competition levels being renewed every single day, it could cost firms a hefty price to lose out on opportunities especially when all it requires are some tweaks in the structure
We at Flujo realize how important clarity in the communication process is. While crafting Flujo we made sure that it’s built around the same principles of collaborating with ease and saving you the hassle of an uneven communication system. You can dive into all our features in detail here.